Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Pittsburgh Half Marathon Training: Week 6

Woah, we're half way there!  Woah, livin' on a prayer!  It would seem like Journey is the theme that is driving this week's training.  Only six weeks left until the big day when I toe the line and run through the city I love.


Monday: 6.28 Miles - Yes, my geeky-ness shone like the sun on this day when I decided to run 2π to both celebrate Pi Day and meet my training plan schedule.  The only thing that made this run a little challenging is that I was running on less than a decent night sleep and, like I said at the end of my training post from last week, my legs just didn't seem to be recovering well from their recent workouts.

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: 4 Miles - I was glad this day only had a small amount of mileage to complete since I had three meetings that afternoon/evening.  I laced up and ran in lots of circles around the school grounds after the first meeting finished.  I was reminded why I only stuck with track through 10th grade....

Thursday: 6 Miles - I decided for this workout that slowing down the pace was what my body needed.  Once I started my Garmin, I didn't look back down at it.  Since I had resolved to let this week serve as recovery, the only goal I had was finishing the miles.

Friday: Rest Day - I did walk 2.5 miles with my students as part of a homelessness simulation.  They were miles for a greater cause!

Saturday: 8 Miles - While the sun was shining for this run, I was a little disappointed in that the weather had reverted back to its wintry wrath.  Out came the running pants and multiple layers and down went my mood.  Cold weather definitely drags me down and, to add to the challenge of the long run, I had developed a nice cold that made breathing a tad hard.  I did my best to maintain an even pace and just keep moving.

Sunday: Rest Day

While last week contained some great training, this week just didn't do it for me.  In having to slow myself down, I'm getting a great lesson in humility.  I've heard that sometimes you have to slow down in order to go faster!

Happy Running!
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment