Sunday, February 21, 2016

Pittsburgh Half Marathon Training: Week 2

The second week of training for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon got off to a rocky start, but ended on a high note.  All is well that ends well, I guess!


Monday: 4 Miles - It would seem that my legs had a case of the "Mondays" during this run.  I could not find the rhythm for my cadence and was more stomping along than actually running.  It wasn't until I was nearing the end of my workout that I realized why I felt so sluggish - all the slushy snow I was trudging through was sticking to my shoes.  It surprisingly added a decent amount of weight!  I also made a fatal mistake from the get-go in my run - I let my watch dictate my pace.  I started too hard and couldn't get myself back on track.

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: 3 Miles - Those "blah" feelings in my legs from Monday's run held on through these miles.  In between various meetings, I only had about 45 minutes to warm up, complete the run, and then cool down.  As is usually the case when I am crunched for time, I abridged the pre- and post-running activities so I could achieve my distance goal.  While I can get away with this strategy on occasion, I was definitely hurting during the workout, since I didn't account for the amount of effort needed to run through 2-3 inches of snow.  My legs were burning and the miles dragged.

Thursday: 4 Miles - For how poorly my runs had gone earlier in the week, this day made up for it.  The sun was shining, a good amount of the snow had melted away and things just clicked.  I cruised along my route enjoying the fresh air with a vitality in my legs that had been lacking previously.  It was a great day to be a runner!

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: 5 Miles - I didn't think Thursday's run could be topped, but this day's workout did just that.  Spring decided to throw us a bone by bringing out a clear blue sky and temperatures in the 60's.  In not having to wear layers for the first time in a long time, I felt light on my feet as I trotted along.  It was just what I needed when I needed it.  If only every day could be this perfect!

Sunday: 4 Miles - While Sundays tend to be rest days, I made plans to run with my friend Mike.  To give you an idea of our friendship, he was the best man in my wedding and he will geek out with me saving my wife from having to entertain my nerdy side.  You can imagine how much fun we had during this workout!  Though slightly cooler than the day before, the sun was still shining away and great conversation and company is invaluable.

Week 2 is in the books and more great miles ahead!

Happy Running!
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment