Friday, September 16, 2016

Akron Marathon Training: Week 16

Each day ticks away and each day takes me closer to the Blue Line!  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and its got me really excited.  Now just to survive these next two weeks of easy training and marathon #1 will be under my belt!


Monday: 3.1 Miles - I decided to begin the week with speed work due to both time constrains and how the rest of the week was looking.  Alteration 200s between 5K and Tempo pace was a tad of a challenge with no access to a track, but improvising worked just a well!

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: 4 Miles - To say this run was "not ideal" would be an understatement.  The humidity lately has been a beast to deal with and this day was no exception.  I had planned on going for 8 miles, but knew in the back of my mind that the weather was not exactly agreeable to it.  This was affirmed by about the first half mile when I found myself having difficulty breathing and muscles tiring already.  My pace was also not up to par with what is generally my norm.

Thursday: 2.2 Miles - The weather was a little more forgiving during this hill repeat workout.  I was able to finish the run pretty quickly, but did notice that my right glute was a little more sore than normal.  I didn't give much thought to it, which was probably a mistake.

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: 12 Miles - Today marked the two-week point until race day.  I started my run nice and early figuring that it was going to be a toasty day later on.  What I didn't consider was the ugliness of the dew point and humidity that was already present in the air.  I found that no matter how hard I pushed I just couldn't hit my normal paces.  If anything, I seemed to be making my body break down faster by not slowing down like I should have.  When I finished my run, both my right glute and left knee didn't feel right.  By the time I went to bed, my knee had swollen and I could barely lift my right leg enough to get into bed.  This didn't bode well...

Sunday: Rest Day

I survived speed workouts, the crazy long runs, and a hot training season, and it's during the taper that I now find myself injured.  Go figure!  I've pulled back big-time from what my training plan said in the hopes that everything will heal in time.  Maybe my body just needs a few days to recoup so all well be better!

Happy running!
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment